Monday, June 17, 2013

Nerd Status

I know you’ve been wondering “is she dead? We haven’t seen a post from her since MAY. I bet she died during D2D4.” Well – you are partially correct. I did, indeed DIE during D2D4… but I came back to life after a nap, some food, a shower, and some beers. My body sure took some convincing, but I made it out alive. But I need to go back in time… I’m so far behind I don’t even know what I did between now and my last posting. Maybe I should make it a rule that I post at least once a week – no matter what I’ve done. That way I don’t get nearly a MONTH out without any updates on my oh-so super exciting life. So. Here we go. A brief synopsis of some things, and too many details of others. You’re welcome.
May is a big birthday month for my family, so we had a get together at Smokey D’s with a bunch of us. I snuck my cupcakes into the restaurant – Cookie Dough Filled Cupcakes – and had zero to take home after dinner. They must have been a hit! But seriously – they were effing good. Not pretty by any means… but they were GOOD. The dinner I had made the night before – not as good as I’d planned. It was a Chicken and Asparagus pasta with a creamy lemon sauce. Meh. I’ll use less stuff next time, or just a bigger pan. I mean I ate it – so I didn’t HATE it, but it wasn’t my best. That weekend was Mother’s Day. I did a lot of working and made an impromptu brunch. Breakfast pizza (with too many eggs), hash browns, and a fruit salad. YUM. Breakfast is so fun to make. And you can have breakfast any time of day.
The next week was D2D4 week. I worked, had a nail appointment (I could have done it myself), and a night to prep before the run. Not a very exciting week – but it was okay since I’d be running my ass off Saturday morning. Saturday morning about 4:15 am my alarm went off. Time to get up and moving! We left my place around 5 to walk down to the bus pick up. Grabbed a coffee on the way at the sketch QT and made it out to Saylorville with nearly an hour to go before race time. Time to have a little snack, drink some water, lace up the runners, and use the potties. Basically you just hurry up and wait. Once the race started, I felt pretty good. The first couple miles went by quickly, and then all of a sudden, we were only on mile 4. We were 1/3 the way done and I was ready to be done already. We made it up the first big hill without any issues, and decided a little walk was in order. After that, we did much more walk/running. About mile 9 or 10, my foot started to hurt and I could feel a massive blister coming in. I wasn’t sure if I should run faster or if I should go slower to ease the pain of what I knew would be a TERRIBLE blister. But I kept going – wanting to cry, throw up, and die the whole way, and not necessarily in that order. Once we heard the Isiserettes I knew it was almost over. We wove in with the 5k runners and all crossed the line. All I wanted was a bathroom, water, and to get my freakin shoes off my feet. Again – not necessarily in that order. I spent the majority of the day on my couch – knowing I should refuel and rehydrate, but instead – I took a nap. So naturally, I woke up feeling spectacular…ly awful. Go figure. Some year I will learn that you don’t immediately take a nap after running that far. Your body will hate you. FOR-E-VER.
I had planned out my next week pretty lightly, that way I wouldn’t hate to move around after being sore from the weekend. I got a massage on Monday night – hurt so good. Again – I wanted to cry, throw up and die a little bit. (Do you see a pattern here?) That Friday night is what I was looking forward to though. It was Winefest 2013: Sips and the City. And by that point I was so ready to be “classy” and drink wine all night like a grown up. However, I didn’t remember until later that if you start drinking at 5 pm, you are home and asleep by 10:30 pm. Woops. But it was still fun – lots of good wines, lots of snacks, and some time downtown people watching (my favorite activity). Family pictures were that Sunday and I had come down with the flu Saturday night. Not cool. I ended up staying home last Monday so I could feel better as well as catch up on 30 Rock. The rest of that week – yuck. Well not all of it… but I was busy every night. Work on Tuesday, book club on Wednesday (get ready for the nerd stuff coming up), work on Thursday, and nerd night on Friday. What do I mean by nerd night? Well, if you must know – and you’re going to know because I will tell you – there was a lecture by one of my new favorite authors in Cedar Rapids. Gillian Flynn (pronounced Gill – like fish – ian, not Jillian) was doing a discussion and answering questions about her past, her writing, her future, etc. It was AWESOME. Plus we got her autograph at the end – so basically she and I are BFFs and someday she’s going to be my mentor when I write a book. It was interesting to listen to her talk about how she’s always had a love of “dark” things, and that’s what inspired her writing. She and I are far more alike in our weird-ness than I thought. And weird-ness makes me happy.
Nerd thing number 2 for the week. As I said, we had book club on Wednesday night and needed to figure out what to read next. A fellow blogger and book club member passed along  something to me via Facebook to have an author “attend” your book club. Naturally – I got excited. I looked into it and passed it along to the host. It’s going to be a done deal. We got in touch the author and learned what this was all about. Basically – we would Skype with her and have our own book club discussion with her book – The Year of the Gadfly. Totally one of my nerd fantasies. So – that’s happening. Our July book club meeting will actually be INCLUDING Jennifer Miller, the author of our chosen book. HOW COOL IS THAT?! All right – enough nerd for now. More to come I’m sure.
Things to look forward to in the next month or so: Iowa Craft Brew Festival this weekend, a brunette date down Ingersoll, a bridal shower, Zoo Brew, the 4th of July, and hopefully a sunburn or two. Hooray for summer FINALLY being here, and coming in FULL FORCE.
 As for my quote, I’m keeping it simple. I don’t think it deserves a lot of explaining, I think it’s just true. Ponder it for a minute – and I hope it resonates with you the way it did with me.
“Whatever’s good for your soul… do that.”
Just think about it. Let it sink in. Listen to what your heart and soul are saying. They’re right most of the time. Just think about it.
Heart and soul,
S

No comments:

Post a Comment