Monday, July 15, 2013

Thrive

I’m hoping you’ve all made it through this Monday so far and have landed your happy little ass on the couch with the remote and a beer… but if you haven’t, then I hope you’re already in bed. Or maybe you had an awesome Monday and can’t wait to continue on with the awesomeness. Mondays are pretty hit or miss, that’s for sure. As I sit down to write tonight, I just feel – blah. I wanted to talk about every awesome thing I did in the last couple weeks (clearly “awesome” is the only adjective I know how to use tonight… maybe it’s because I watched quite a few episodes of HIMYM this weekend…) but I just wasn’t feeling it. Maybe I’m just tired, or maybe I just want to read my book instead. Just a slump for the overly wordy blog entry for the day. But I did find something that made me happy, and opened my eyes a little bit. I know I’ve said multiple times that I wish I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up. I realize I may not be a “grown up” for many years, but I just wish I knew what I wanted to do forever. I’ve always wanted a CAREER. I don’t just want a job. I want to find something that I want to do for the rest of my life. I want to be challenged. I want to learn new things. I want to meet new people. I don’t want a sedentary lifestyle where I’m unhappy with what I’m doing. I want to be active and try new things. I just haven’t figured out what exactly that entails. Does that involve me being my own boss? Does that mean I need to move somewhere else? Or does that mean I just need to find something that works for now, and until I have the resources to do my forever job, settle? I don’t know what it means. I’ve got an ongoing bucket list, and my list for things I want to do this year. I also realize that I’m 26 (and a half) and there’s no hurry for me to figure out what I want to do FOREVER, right now. I just don’t know. I get on social media sites daily, hourly (depending on what I’m doing) and I see people getting new jobs, getting engaged, having babies, getting divorced, going back to school, complaining about how “hard” their life is, and I just want to punch people. Is that terrible for me to say? Probably a little bit. But it’s how I feel. I’m happy with where I am in my life – I just wish I had a little more direction. Maybe I’ll have an epiphany some day and just wake up and BAM – I know what I want to do forever. I just want to THRIVE. I don’t know what I will be doing while I’m thriving, but I have extremely high hopes for myself. Back to what made me happy and open my eyes a little, my quote. Well not MY quote, Reba’s quote. The one that opened my eyes and made me happy. “To thrive in life you need three bones. A wishbone. A backbone. And a funny bone.” Like I said – I want to THRIVE. I want to be happy and healthy and challenged. I have high hopes for my future. Maybe my future is 20 years from now, or maybe it’s 6 months from now. To get what I want (whatever it may be) I need a backbone. Stand up for what I want and love; and stand up to people who don’t care about you. That will never get you where you want to be. And most importantly – a funny bone. Make sure you’re able to laugh at yourself, or with yourself – whichever you prefer. I don’t understand how people can go through life being SO unhappy. Laugh, be happy, and spend time with people who bring out the best in you. So – my goal for the rest of the year: thrive. No matter what I’m doing – whether it’s work, getting in shape, or my to-do list. Thrive. Do things that make me happy, with people who make me happy. Challenge myself with things I’ve never done before. Or challenge myself with things I want to perfect. But by the end of the year – I will continue to thrive. Remember: all you need are a wishbone, backbone, and a funny bone. Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment