Thursday, July 10, 2014

Wander.



I inhaled, I exhaled. I cried listening to an operatic aria while embraced in a strong, loving hug. I heard the word “nipple” more times than if I’d been at a doctor’s office or health class. I meditated in the rain. I hiked through the mountains. I ate lots of granola. I wore spandex every day. I relaxed, I rejuvenated. I strengthened my practice and learned about myself. I stepped out of my comfort zone. I bonded with my love over 28 hours on the road. I smiled and laughed SO MUCH. I hugged and held hands with strangers. I brought sexy back with 100 of my newest, closest friends. I stood in awe with my mouth gaping wide at partner acro yoga. I ate new food, I drank new beer. I wandered. And I want to go back. Soon.


This was definitely an active vacation – and I’m not even mad about it. Between four and six hours of activity per day – not including the “hike” it took to get from our condo to Upward Facing Mountain. I was physically EXHAUSTED each and every night. And I LOVED it. And what I loved even more? The mental clarity I had each day. I spent a lot of time getting out of my own head – which was sometimes more difficult than getting into a difficult posture. We women are naturally wired where it’s hard for our brains to shut up. Maybe it was the open air, maybe it was the lack of oxygen to my brain due to the heightened elevation and altitude, maybe it was the fact that I was relaxed and could just LET IT GO – but I got out of my head HARD. It was amazing to awaken from shavasana and have NOTHING on my mind. It was amazing to begin a two hour practice with a ten minute meditation – to settle into stillness and clear my mind from whatever was plaguing me at that moment. Clarity. It’s a beautiful thing.


Colorado is one of the most BEAUTIFUL places in the world. I say that because I haven’t been many places in the world. But seriously – it’s GORGEOUS. Driving through western Iowa and ALL of Nebraska is a real bore – although I did get to see my college roomie for a hot minute during a dinner time pit-stop in Lincoln. Even the eastern side of Colorado is flat and boring – until you see the mountains in the distance. Once that happens, the smile on your face grows. Maybe it’s because I’ve lived in the Midwest my entire life, or maybe it’s because I have never been to Colorado anytime during the year that it’s not covered in HUNDREDS of inches of snow. Taking pictures during the drive in doesn’t do it justice at all. The mental pictures I took will hopefully be burned into my memory forever – and hopefully I can rekindle them at another time. Gorgeous. 

I want to go back. I want to wake up to the birds singing each morning, rather than a dump truck or a construction crew. I want to breathe in the mountain air. I don’t want to drive places. I want to lay in the grass and just BE. Just knowing that I had nothing I HAD to do each night really sets your mind at ease. I didn’t HAVE to do laundry. I didn’t NEED to do dishes. I could take a nap if I wanted to without worrying about something not getting done. This vacation was needed and necessary. And I feel wonderful now that I’m back. My head is clear, my heart is full. I’m closer than ever with my roomie and we’ve discussed a return trip to our Heaven. And we’d add on to our trip: white water rafting, zip lining, more hiking. 


Some of the simplicity I felt there is something I want to make sure I continue back at home. Enjoying a cup of coffee on the porch before starting the day. A long walk to quiet my thoughts. Really ENJOYING the beauty of nature – not just SEEING it. Smile and saying hello to people I pass by. Continuing to step out of my comfort zone. Being fucking happy. Seriously. Just being happy with my life. There is so much greatness in my life – in everyone’s lives. Life is so GREAT. Live it that way. Without regrets.

This vacation awakened my soul. I want to be better, do better, be happier. I want to challenge myself, challenge others, learn more. I found what makes me so happy I want to continue being that happy. 

Namaste lovers.
S

No comments:

Post a Comment