Monday, November 25, 2013

Happy and Thankful - Tis the Season


Hello my lovelies and happy hump day! Wait… that’s not right. It’s really Monday… and just FEELS like hump day since it’s a three day week WOOP WOOP! So TECHNICALLY it’s Wednesday… right? Sure – we’ll go with that. Whatever gets you through the week. And then Thursday is TURKEY DAY! The day where you hang out with family, eat four times as much as you normally would, and then shop till you drop the following day. Or that night – because now the malls are open on Thanksgiving night. How ridiculous is that? Ridiculous enough that I will be at the mall at 7:30 pm to work until 12:30 am. That’s how ridiculous. I’m not super impressed – except for the fact that I get paid time and a half. So that part isn’t too bad. And I have all day Friday to do whatever I want – until I go back to work at 5:30 that night. Someday I’ll learn that it’s OKAY not to be crazy. Someday. I feel like my mom when we were growing up. She always had a sit down with us around this time to say it’s “mom’s crazy hours.” Basically – that meant she was working through the ice show, state drill team, state basketball, state wrestling… etc. (Did I miss anything?) And that also meant dad was in charge so we had to be on our BEST behavior.

Wednesday was the first night I didn’t have to work – so I decided to steal a recipe from Iowa Girl Eats and make some Baked Popcorn Chicken, Asparagus and Cajun Style Rice. I am TOTALLY making that again. Especially because of the homemade Maple Honey Mustard dipping sauce. NOMS. It’s been kindly suggested that the next time I need to put MORE HONEY in it… noted. Because seriously – you can’t go wrong with too much honey. It’s a natural, delicious sweetener – and tastes AWESOME with peanut butter. Check out how DELISH this looks! Pretty proud of myself. Took a little longer to actually make my own popcorn chicken – but it tastes WAY mo’ betta than the frozen stuff. Again – noted.
 
Thursday I tried my hand at crockpot potato soup. BIG FAIL. I mean it tasted okay… but not what I expected. It ended up kind of being a “garbage soup” – a little of this, a little of that, mix it all together and BAM – delicious. Wrong. I have another recipe I want to try, more work – but still is supposed to be amazing. Next time.

Friday night was a mutual consensus to skip yoga (there was a guest teacher in town so I really SHOULD HAVE gone… but I was having a fat day and didn’t want to put on yoga pants) and go see Catching Fire instead. I know I know, I was going to reread Catching Fire before I saw it in theaters, but when propositioned with Bordenaro’s Pizza and beer, I really can’t say no. (Except that the pizza had goobers on it… mushrooms and olives… it was still yummy.) And the movie – HOLY CRAP IT WAS SO GOOD! I totally want to go see it again. I can’t wait till the next book is made into a movie… I love it! And I started reading Catching Fire today while on my ellipticalling lunch – so before I see it AGAIN… I’ll make sure I’ve read the book, again. The books are ALWAYS better than the movie – but these movies are hella good. And Katniss – damn. I need to wear my Katniss braid some more just to remember how awesome she is.

Saturday was a LONG day. A four hour shift at the yoga studio, an hour of sweating it out with 30 of my closest yogi friends, and then another 4 hour shift at the mall. I needed to relax a little bit after that – but then met up with the newly graduated yogis from the completion of their teacher training. CONGRATS NEW YOGIS! I can’t wait to take your classes J We started the night at Exile – drinking some Rauchbier and Gigi and INHALING their dunk-dunk sauce. After leaving, we continued on to the Locust Tap (sensory OVERLOAD) and finished the night at The Saddle. More sensory overload. Those yogis sure know how to have fun.

Yesterday I was WORTHLESS. Well – except for dress shopping for yet another wedding. It was good to see all the girls and try on some pretty dresses – and we found the dress! We said yes to the dress! (That’s a direct quote from last Monday’s blog.) And now again, onto the fun stuff of shoes and jewels. I’m really excited to see how these wedding pictures turn out – they’re going to be so pretty! Yay for friends getting married! After dress shopping, I picked up some Taco Johns, came home and crashed. I watched a couple episodes of Hoarders, crawled in bed and slept for an hour. I lazed around the rest of the day and it was AWESOME. I watched Love, Actually (one of my FAVORITE movies), more Hoarders, and then decided I should be a grown up and make some dinner. I saw a recipe for Bacon Mac and Cheese, so I thought I’d just whip that up real quick. On that note – I baked my bacon again and that is seriously the BEST way to cook bacon. It’s crispy, tasty, and the clean up is SO EASY. Anyway – if you haven’t tried baking your bacon – try it sometime. Just put it in the oven unheated, turn it on to 375 and it cooks as it warms up. I LOVE that way of doing it. Back to the mac – it was also AWESOME. I have a ton leftover, which is fine because I’ll definitely eat it all week. Or at least for the next two days. Plus I threw in some dried peppers all crushed up so it had a little bite to it. Check out the yumminess!!


I finished off my lazy Sunday with James and the Giant Peach on Netflix. I forgot just how bad that movie is… but I still watched it anyway. Sometimes you just need to get back to your childhood. Speaking of childhood, I just found out that it has been 20 YEARS since Mrs. Doubtfire came out. How crazy is that?! I still love that movie – even when I watch it now. Robin Williams and Sally Field – how can you really go wrong there?! But that totally makes me feel old. 20 years?! Gah.

Next week I’ll be reflecting on the past year – my 26th year – and what I accomplished. I made my official LIST for 2013 of what I wanted to accomplish, so we can see how exactly I did. I know there are a lot I didn’t do – mostly because I ran out of time and got busy. There was still plenty I did take care of, and then ideas for more. I like that I’ve got goals. Some are monthly, weekly, and yearly. I mean the “goals” I had when I was 16 are SO MUCH DIFFERENT than when I turned 26. And that’s okay. People grow and change and your ideals grow and change. And that’s okay. And people grow and change at different rates. When I was 16 I always thought I’d meet my future husband in college, and get married by 25. Well – as I turn 27 one week from today, that didn’t quite happen. And I’m fine with that. I also thought I’d have my shit together by now – but I’m not actually sure if I’ll ever have my shit together. Maybe never COMPLETELY together, I don’t think anyone ever knows exactly what they’re doing.

Coming into my birthday month, Thanksgiving, and the upcoming new year – I am thankful and happy. I’m thankful for my awesome friends and family, I’m happy I found such a great place to work, and I’m both happy AND thankful for the passion, love and helpfulness I’m surrounded by. I’ve got a pretty kick ass life – and I love that I’m living it to the fullest.

What are you thankful for? I urge you to ask yourself this question. REALLY think about it. What makes YOUR world go round?

Be thankful,

S

No comments:

Post a Comment