Friday, June 6, 2014

Books = Happiness. Fact.



I’ve been failing so hard at this blog lately. I could give you all my usual excuses – “I’m busy, I don’t have time, I work too much.” But in reality – although I have been crazy busy – I just haven’t felt creative. Plus I’ve been watching a lot of Netflix (Scandal, OITNB, Arrested Development) and other garbage TV shows (Party Down South, Real World: Free Agents, WWE Divas). I’ve been (trying) to read more – I’ve been terrible at that lately too – but I’ve made my way through a couple book club books and some free reading books as well. (That makes it sound like I’m in 4th grade and we have “silent reading time” to read our free reading book. And let’s be real – wasn’t that the BEST time of the day? Maybe just for me? Yeah? Well all right then.) As my mama told me time and time again, a poor excuse is better than no excuse – and so that’s my excuse. A lack of creativity, “busy schedule,” and just the fact that I didn’t WANT to sit down and write.

I just started reading The Paris Wife by Paula McClain and it’s pretty amazing. It’s one I’d seen at Target EVERY single time I went and just kept thinking that I should read it. This is a story about Ernest Hemingway and his wife Hadley. I’ll be honest with you – although I’ve read some Hemingway, I knew ZERO things about the man other than “Romantic? Hemingway? He was an abusive, alcoholic misogynist who squandered half of his life hanging around Picasso trying to nail his leftovers.” Thanks Kat Stratford for opening up my eyes to literature I only wish I knew about sooner. (That was a quote from 10 Things I Hate About You… btw.) As I continue to read, I can tell that to be very true. It’s a really intriguing book – seeing the POV from both Hadley and Ernest… and damn if I don’t love me some 1920s history. When I saw this book at the Half Price Bookstore, I knew it was fate. It was only $5.99 so I pretty much HAD to get it. Plus I had a gift card… so it was essentially free. Logic. And who doesn’t love a free book?!

Side note – have you seen the abundance of Little Free Libraries popping up all over? This is probably one of the best things EVER… when I have a house (someday) there will be one in my front yard – write that down, roomie. If you don’t know what these are, go for a walk/run along Grand Avenue in Des Moines… between 42nd Street and Polk Blvd. There’s one on the south side of the street and every time my running buddy and I go by it, I just want to stop and take a look inside, or bring a book of my own back to drop off. (Visit their website for more information… and find one near you! http://littlefreelibrary.org/)  It’s such a great idea – and such a different way to get your friends, neighbors and also complete strangers to read. I love borrowing books, sharing books, library books, new books, old books, e-books, ALL books. In all reality, I’m pretty much Belle from Beauty and the Beast (sans the Beast… although at times the roomie can be pretty beast-like… KIDDING!!) with her love of books. You can escape to so many different places, be so many different people, and learn so many things that you’d never know if you’d never opened up a book.

“No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.”

I just took a quick trip through the “Happiness” board on my Pinterest page (you can never have too MUCH happiness) and there seems to be an abundance of bookish things on this page. Quotes, pictures, lists – because all things “book” make me happy. Walking into a book store, a library, alphabetizing my own book shelf, looking at friends’ book shelves – it’s just an amazing thing. I am so fortunate that I was a reader at a young age – and never STOPPED reading. Although I was told once that I should “get a new hobby” when I said that reading was one of my hobbies, I’ve never lost that. I love getting lost in a book – in the relationships with the characters, the scenery, the emotions – I’ve read many books in a day, mostly because I cannot put them down and want to see just what happens NEXT. Sometimes books make me cry, even if they aren’t sad. Sometimes I get angry – but I keep reading because I want to see that person “get theirs.” I could talk books ALL. DAMN. DAY. And that doesn’t embarrass me at all. I love that I’ve found a great group of girls who love books and reading as much as I do. This book club was one of the best things I’ve done and I am SO GLAD that I finally did it. Book clubs aren’t dorky you guys – they’re awesome. 

That being said – book club happens the week after I get back from my hippie vacation in Colorado. Which also excites me SO MUCH. Four days of yoga, outdoor activities and sun – what could HONESTLY be better? I’ll get to see the fireworks on the 4th over the Rocky Mountains, go for a sunrise hike/meditation/yoga practice on my last morning there, I will get to spend four days with people I don’t know – and that scares me and excites me all at once. As of right now, I will know my road trip buddy/roomie, and one of the instructors. That’s it. Very out of my comfort zone – and it’s going to be GREAT. I hope to come back from Colorado as a new woman. One who has grown, learned, and bettered herself while “wandering” to find herself. 

“Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.”

Tonight I’ll be a little more in my comfort zone – Sips and the City at the Historical Building tonight. Wine and friends and snacks and wine and friends. Just a few of my favorite things. Plus – the last time I was in the Historical Building was for a prom my junior year of high school. Slow dancing near the wooly mammoth was about as far from “romantic” as you could get. Maybe the me from 10 years post-prom (barf) will appreciate it a little more. 

Well kids – I think that’s all for me today. It’s Friday, it’s hot out, and I’m in a good mood. I’ve been listening to Sam Smith on Pandora today and this crooner is getting into my SOUL. I had Kona coffee with my fruitful breakfast and am ready to enjoy the day. You should do the same.

Love and hugs from me to you,
S

No comments:

Post a Comment