Friday, June 13, 2014

Let the Roadtrip Countdown Begin



It’s happening you guys. I’m going to a yoga retreat for four days and I may come back a hippie. I’m going to be relaxed and happy and I cannot WAIT. I will be spending almost a week in beautiful Colorado – a place I’ve been numerous times, but never in the summer. I know how gorgeous it can be at the top of a mountain with pure, white snow everywhere – but I’ve never been there when the sun is shining, the snow has melted, and the scenery has been cut wide open. I’m so giddy at the thought of doing a sunrise hike through the mountains, a meditation and practice that I can hardly stand it. Ever since we purchased our tickets and set up our itineraries, it’s been on my mind constantly. Then we got the hotel booked. I was originally thinking how AWESOME it would be to camp while we were there and really be WITH nature, but then the oh-so wise roomie politely suggested that a hotel would probably be the better deal – since we’ll be doing upwards of 3 yoga practices per day for four days. We’re going to want beds. Fair enough – I like your logic. I’d rather sleep in a bed than the ground after almost 5 hours of yoga. Ouch. And then it got for real REAL last night when we booked the rental car. The drive will be a test for sure – 13+ hours in the car together… the most we’ve done is about 3-4 hours to Okoboji, Kansas City and Minnesota. So this will definitely be a true test. And if we make it the 4.5 hours through Nebraska – the rest will be CAKE. Hopefully.

Remember that 20/30 challenge we started on June 1st? We have been doing a pretty poor job of making that happen. So far I’m 6/20… not good. Those 6 am classes need to start happening more. I know how awesome early morning workouts are… but getting there is the hard part. I’ll make it there consistently one of these days. The classes that I HAVE been making it to though – whoa. I feel cleansed, happy, calm – exactly how I would love to feel every single DAY. Sure I’ve sweat out everything I’ve ingested that day – but it’s so worth it. I’m growing and strengthening my practice – both with the basic poses I’ve been doing for a long time, as well as moving into more advanced poses that really push the limits of my balance and flexibility. And it’s amazing. My muscles are beginning to stretch and lengthen and I’m waiting for my core to strengthen – that’s taking a little bit of extra work. But the best part is that I come out of class with a huge smile on my face. My pupils are dilated and I feel a little nauseous, but I’m happy. Worth it.

I had a really rough week last week as far as body image goes. And I hate when that happens. Sometimes I look at myself in the mirror and think “damn girl you look GOOD” and other times I take a look and think “what the f.” I was breaking out, bloated, and just blah looking. I thought that once I was an adult this wasn’t going to happen? Lame. After complaining to my running/book club buddy, I got a pretty good pick-me-up/pep talk. I needed it. What an awful feeling to have – thinking that you look like garbage. Yuck. After throwing a mini temper tantrum last Friday prior to Winefest (nothing I had in my closet looked good on me) I laid down for a little 10 minute nap and woke up grouchy. And of course – I snap at someone I love. I was just being a brat – I knew it, he knew it – but it happened. Then he made me smile. I told him that nothing looked good on me and I felt blah. He told me I looked beautiful. Okay fine – I’ll take it. And then I had some wine and was much better off. 

I’ve seen a lot of negativity lately – but I’ve also seen and heard some amazing positivity. A book club buddy and newlywed told me about a book she just finished up called 10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works by Dan Harris. I ran across this book after reading The Happiness Project for book club – and of course I was then on a journey of self-help. I followed that up with Start Something That Matters and got about halfway through Delivering Happiness before I needed to return it to the library. There’s nothing wrong with a little self-help every once in a while. Especially when it makes you grow. A little extra gray matter never hurt anyway – especially when you get laugh lines in the process. Which btw – I LOVE laugh lines. They’re probably one of my favorite things about the human face. It shows that you’re not a tight ass and want to have fun. And that you’re HAPPY – because being happy is probably the BEST part of being alive. 


In other news, I am now a proud adoptive mother of FOUR plants. For those of you who know me at all, know that I have a very prominent black thumb. So we’ll see how this plays out. I rescued a sad plant from the office a couple weeks ago, and then yesterday we received a housewarming gift from our landlord. Said housewarming gift included three baby plants and some other swag from surrounding businesses. I’m totally pumped to keep these babies alive – however with my track record, I’m a little nervous. I don’t even know what these plants are! So I’m going to google “green house plants” and take a look at the pictures. Then I’m going to google “how do I keep this thing alive” and go from there. After work today a trip to Earl May/Menards/Home Depot/Lowe’s to find some little pots and things should be fun – maybe some dirt? I don’t know how these things work. It’s a miracle Toby has lasted as long as he has. Which btw – he will be having a birthday soon! Big guy will be 7 this summer! How adorable.

Welp – it’s time to finish this morning off. It’s Friday y’all – enjoy it and enjoy your weekend.

I plan on having a celebratory beer (or four) at Exile tomorrow after my race – because the medal we receive doubles as a bottle opener – WHAT. Guess I’ll take it.

Peace out homies.
S

No comments:

Post a Comment