Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Open Your Eyes, Your Ears, Your Heart.



I’ve been feeling a little over-sappy these last few days – and I blame it on my reading material. Not that it’s BAD reading material – it’s actually really AMAZING reading material. I just finished up Start Something That Matters by Blake Mycoskie, the founder and Chief Shoe Giver of TOMS. In the first chapter of this book, I was in tears. I was sitting at Panera on my lunch and was damn near crying into my broccoli cheddar soup. But I pulled it together and continued reading one of the BEST books I’ve read to date. Even if you aren’t thinking about starting a business, read this book. It speaks to the heart, from the heart – and will ABSOLUTELY make you a better person in all aspects of life. While finishing this book up on a rainy Sunday afternoon, I began a list. New goals and different thoughts to make myself better. (List to come later.) I’m also trying to figure out how I can go with the TOMS crew to a shoe drop. The emotion from those doing the shoe drop to those receiving the shoes, has got to be the strongest, most beautiful thing I’ve ever heard of. Can you imagine receiving your first pair of shoes? The feeling of gratitude, happiness, excitement – all built into one overwhelming sense of, I don’t even know – being? And can you imagine how you would feel when you gave someone their first pair of shoes? I would immediately burst into tears. As emotional as I can get, I know I’d be a sobbing mess. But I would be so unbelievably HAPPY while doing it. Makes sense right? Bawling my eyes out with a HUGE smile on my face. I’m researching to figure out how I can make this happen.

I’m also in the process of finishing up our book club read for this month – The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. This book has been on my reading list for literally YEARS and I just haven’t picked it up to read. So after hosting last month’s meeting, I figured – why not? I haven’t read it yet and really – who DOESN’T want to be happier? I wasn’t sure it would lead to a personal increased happiness level, but I could try. Reading makes me happy, so why not read a book about being happy to make me HAPPIER. So much happy in one place! Like I’d said before, it makes me want to begin my own happiness project. When I get some free time (whatever that means) I’m going to sit down and really think about what I want to improve. What can make ME happier. Don’t get me wrong – I’m VERY happy. But I want to be MORE happy. Reading this book made me open my eyes to things that I’m currently doing which bring down my happiness level. I snap too quickly, get angry at things beyond my control, gossip, skip workouts, eat crappy, don’t sleep enough, have clutter – all things that I can change MYSELF. So I will set out to fix those. Get happier.

With Earth Day coming up next week, I did a lot of thinking about “being green.” My company is a “green company” so 95% of everything we do in the office is done electronically. We hardly go through printer paper, we use plastic plates and cups and wash them in the dishwasher, and we recycle. So then I started thinking about my own life. I’m pretty terrible at being green. I grew up recycling and riding my bike and roller blading everywhere. As I got older, it was just EASIER to throw stuff away so I wouldn’t have to deal with it – and then I could drive, so I did. And really – it makes me feel like an ass hole. I realize I’m not single-handedly RUINING this Earth, but I’m sure not helping it any by throwing away everything. And really – I have no excuse. We have recycling bins at our building. The places I workout are within WALKING distance of where I live. If I need to pick up something quick from the store, I can WALK there. I could probably walk/run to Gray’s Lake and hang out for the day. And that sounds like an awesome idea once it gets warmer (consistently.) But a lot of times, I just don’t do any of those. So while I was having my mini-epiphany on a dreary day, I came up with a few things I wanted to improve on in the upcoming couple months. Not everything has to do with my “being green” but it does have ideas for ways to improve ME.

  • Recycle
  • Donate
  • Volunteer
  • Be outdoorsy (more than just drinking on patios)
  • 5 minute clean up (before work and before bed)
  • Walk more
  • Be informed (less Facebook, more Des Moines Register)
  • Shop local
  • Be better
  • Be a “yes man” (lady)

Some of these are minor and some are major. I don’t want to be an uninformed person who throws away bottles instead of recycling them, who drives to workout. I want to be BETTER. I want to donate things, time, services. I want to spend time outside – camping, hiking, relaxing. And I have faith, dear readers, that you’ll be able to help me in my future endeavors. And this is where you come in. Suggestions. I want your opinions. What do you do in your free time to better yourself? Where do you volunteer? What articles should I read so I know more about what is going on in this place? Where do you buy your groceries/gifts/clothing that’s a local shop, not a chain? Need a partner in crime for something? YES I’ll do it with you. Des Moines is a wonderful, amazing place. There’s so much to do and so much to see. I love it here, more than I ever thought I would. The music, the food, and the sights. The PEOPLE, the activities, and the atmosphere. Help me enjoy it MORE.

“Do it with passion or not at all.”

“If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking.” – Steve Jobs

“Be bold enough to use your voice, brave enough to listen to your heart, and strong enough to live the life you’ve always imagined.” 

I’m ready. Are you?

Open your ears, your eyes, your heart.
S

No comments:

Post a Comment