Sunday, December 2, 2012

Once Upon a Time...


On the eve of my 26th birthday, I find it fitting to start this new blog. I’m starting another chapter in my life – a 26th chapter if you will – and on that note, I still don’t know exactly who I am. I’ve toyed with the idea of starting a blog for a long time, and I never buckled down enough to do it. I always had something else to do, somewhere else to go, or there was a Bridezillas marathon on that I just couldn’t miss – even though I’d seen every episode at least 9 times. So now – after much thought – I am finally beginning this blog. I’m borrowing an idea from a couple different books – not the exact idea, but with similarities pertaining to my life. This will be a cross between Julie and Julia – where Julie (a writer) takes a “trip” through Julia Childs’ cookbook and uses a recipe each night for an entire year and then blogs about it (among other things – somewhat of a self discovery trip); and Eat, Pray, Love – another search for self discovery through food, prayer, and love. Surprisingly – I haven’t read either of these books completely – I’ve tried, I just couldn’t get past the “eat” portion of Eat, Pray, Love and I saw the movie before I read the book for Julie and Julia – but I know the basic premise for each book. And that’s what I intend to do in this blog. This will be my own journey to self discovery.

I tend to be one of those people who always talks about “doing” something – but then never following through with it. I talk a big game, but when it comes down to it – I’m not a big “do-er.” So with that said – I will begin to be a “do-er.” I’ve already began a list of things that I’ve said I wanted to do, but have never done, and I will write about each new thing I try. It may be something as simple as trying a new food, baking something (I’m terrible at baking – too many rules, as I’m sure you will find out later) or something as momentous as skydiving or starting a new tradition. I’m always looking for suggestions and will do my best to try something new every day. We’re all busy – so something new every day may be a little bit of an undertaking – especially with the holidays coming up.

Some of these may be ongoing – there are a few on my list I already know I can’t get done in one day – and there are others where I could be done in an hour. I’m really looking forward to doing this – and I know that in the long run, it really will help me figure out who I really am. I’m hoping to figure out what I want to be when I grow up, where I want to be in five years (that dreaded question in an interview that you never know how to answer), and what REALLY makes me happy. This blog will be a bucket list of sorts – however “travel to Europe” will probably not make this year of doing… need to save a little cash money before that trip happens. Unless I win the lottery… then that will be happening FOR SURE. Good bye student loans and HELLO EUROPE!! But until then – I’ll stick with things within my reach, or a little outside my comfort zone. Who knows – maybe I’ll find something I really enjoy and love, more than I ever thought. Fingers crossed!

So as my first order of business – I would like to check “start a blog” off my mental bucket list. Here begins my “to-do” list for the next year. I’d love to hear comments, suggestions, etc. from those of you who follow my blog. Even if no one reads this – it will be nice to have somewhere to “talk” about what I’ve been up to. Any new revelation will absolutely be discussed – it will be nice to talk things through – OUTSIDE my head rather than in my own thoughts. Gets crazy and jumbled in there sometimes. And as I go back and read those last few sentences – I sound like I have conversations with myself in my head. Sometimes it happens – but you’ll have that.

So here we have it – day one of my “year of doing.” Let’s hope I can stick with this and it doesn’t get added on to my list of “I should do this… but probably won’t.” That list isn’t fun.

Peace, love, dove.

Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment