Thursday, January 17, 2013

Closet Mean Girls, Yoga Sluts, and Year of the Rear

I’m so close to making it through the work week – and by “work week” I mean the Monday-Friday work week, seeing as how I will be working Saturday and Sunday – that I just want to crawl into bed and sleep till Monday. Again, not a particularly stressful or strenuous week, but just loooooong and drawn out. Yesterday I thought “wow – it’s hump day already?” and then today I thought “uuuuugh it’s only Thursday?!” It’s crazy how 24 hours can make such a big difference.
Monday was a Monday, just like any other Monday. Tuesday was a Tuesday – although I had another pretty decent workout. I’m telling you – if you have any amount of aggression that you need to get out of your body, beat the shit out of a punching bag for 45 minutes. You’ll feel like dying a little bit, but by the end you’ll feel much less tense and much more relaxed. I was still confused by a lot going on – but I can’t understand everything, no matter how much I try. So until I do understand it all, I’m going to just roll with it. Whatevs.
Tuesday night I was introduced to something new – a forum to write in. It was something I was initially hesitant about, but the more I thought about it and heard more about, I got really excited. I want to share my story with others, and I want to read others’ stories as well. The more you learn the more you grow – again, with the butchering of Dr Seuss. I shouldn’t do that – one of these days I’ll get the quote right and be able to repeat it! Anyway – I’ve gotten some good chats in so far with another girl in this forum… and it’s something I will absolutely be continuing to do. More to come on this… but for now, just the basics – I’m really glad I did it. I have a feeling that I will form a bond with the others in this forum that I may not have always had the opportunity to do. I’m so thankful for that.
I noticed something about myself last night after my core class – probably not the best thing, but it’s reality. With being involved in numerous athletic teams, workout groups, etc., I have found myself to be VERY competitive. And probably not the good, healthy kind of competitiveness. Basically – I’m an ass hole. Many of you knew this about me – but I just wanted to make sure that it was out there for the world to see. Or read – either one. So as I was in class last night, I’m thinking to myself “this class is SO MUCH easier than the OTHER yoga class I went to. The people in here OBVIOUSLY are new because they’re not nearly as flexible as ME.” I don’t outwardly say these things, but I do tend to have mean girl conversations with myself in my head. (CLOSET mean girl – not a MEAN, mean girl.) But then, after having these rude conversations in my head with myself (they happen more often than you’d think) I humble myself and go to a class where I’m NOT the best and think “wow these people have been doing this for a LONG time and they are OBVIOUSLY better than I am. I better work my ASS off so that my ass even looks like that girls’ ass.” (Remember – year of the rear!) I didn’t realize just how competitive I was until I started taking classes with more people in them. I’ve always been a solo gym rat – or maybe just with one other person who is the same or better in shape than me. These classes brought out my competitive side that I thought had been laid to rest with the rest of my high school fought battles of who would be on the “A” team. Wrong. That bitch in me has resurfaced. And for that – I should apologize to anyone at the gym whom I roll my eyes at (unknowingly) while you don’t punch as hard as I do, or those that I stare at in awe (again – unknowingly) while you do a complete forward fold in yoga and my knees are bent and hamstrings straining so they don’t snap in half. Looks like I’m just in the middle. And I am okay with that – as long as I have at least one person to “compete” with (and yes I know, there isn’t a first place for a workout class) then I know I’ll be getting a kick ass workout.
And on that note – I will change the subject… kind of. I purchased a new Groupon today for a different yoga studio in Des Moines. $40 for 10 yoga sessions… pretty excited about it. I did get called a yoga slut – which I thought was pretty rude. I just want to find what I like! If that makes me a yoga slut – well, so be it. I don’t care. I’ve found something that I REALLY like that I didn’t think I would… so I’m going to keep at it. Get at it! I’m going to spin class in the morning – haven’t been to one in a while… so this should hurt REAL good. But if I plan on getting my certification to teach a spin class this year, I better get my ass in spin gear. Not just the spandex and clips for class – but like in SHAPE. Year of the rear, bitches.
This really is a random entry – I went back and read through what I’ve said for the last page… I’m real random. I think I need some sleep. Two hours left of work – and then I can go curl up in bed with Toby… only to get up 6 hours later to go kick my ass in spin. And by kick my ass I mean get my ass kicked. Pretty excited. Kind of. Not really. And as I discuss being excited, “Pump Up the Jam” begins playing at the gym. Perfection.
As a spur of the moment thing today, I signed up to Adopt a US Soldier. A friend of mine has adopted one, and I thought it would be something I’d like to do. I’d get very anxious awaiting a response from a letter or email, but I think it’s something I really would love to do. There are so many soldiers out fighting for our country who don’t have the outpouring of support that others do. Also – I know how much I love receiving mail so why wouldn’t someone else? Especially someone who is that far from home. I should know in the next few days who my soldier is – and I can’t wait to start writing. I need to stock up on my Lisa Frank stationary so this soldier is SUPER excited to get mail from me written in sparkly gel pens.
As I’ve said in previous posts, I LOVE the support that I’ve been receiving from my friends. I’ve gotten Facebook messages, texts, and emails – letting me know their thoughts on my blog. It feels great knowing that people are actually reading this and that they are actually ENJOYING what they’re reading. I’m glad that I’ve evoked emotion from those of you who read it and I hope to continue.
And now the part of the evening you’ve been waiting for – the quote! I’ve found a lot of great quotes while reading February’s book club book… so I’ve tried to sticky-note them all or put them in my phone so I don’t forget them. For tonight’s inspirational quote, I pull from Part 4 of Wild – and borrow the wise words of Winston Churchill:
“Never never never give up.”
Never give up – on your goals, hopes, and dreams. Don’t give up on something that you think you may never achieve. Just try, work hard, and if it doesn’t work – try again. Never never NEVER give up.
Signed, Sealed, Delivered –
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment