Sunday, January 20, 2013

Ugh. Hangovers.

Finishing a book is always a bittersweet moment for me. I become so emotionally involved with the characters and plot that it hurts a little bit to put my book down once I’ve finished the last page. Sometimes I have to go back and read specific excerpts to make sure that I’ve really finished reading it and that I didn’t miss anything. I think I read somewhere that I suffer from the occasional “book hangover” where I can’t start a new book until the previous book has worked its way out of my system. I am currently suffering from one such hangover after my latest read. I finished up February’s book club book today and I really am sad that I’m done reading it. I received this book as a gift MONTHS ago and haven’t gotten around to reading it yet. Since I hosted our last book club meeting, it was up to me to choose our next book. I knew that I’d like the book, but I never got it going – so why not drag people down with me and make them read it too J So far I think I’m the only one who’s finished the book… I can’t wait till our next meeting to see what everyone else thought of it! This book was definitely one that makes you think. It wasn’t one that you can just read about and forget. I won’t be able to NOT bring up this book in the future. On the book jacket, an author describes this book as “devastating and glorious” and I agree. So many devastating things lead to this woman’s glorious journey. And like I said – it will make you think. Thinking is good for you. It means your head still works – occasionally, anyway.
I had a lot of family time this weekend – which usually causes large amounts of anxiety. The holidays are done for a while, and that’s when you overdose on family – but when you have someone visit from out of state, you have to redo everything you’ve done the previous month. Exhausting. Big family dinner last night – margaritas included (and necessary) and then a big brunch today – mimosas included (and also necessary.) I learned something about myself this morning. I was working on completing a NEW recipe (thanks Pinterest) and people were hovering. I know it was all out of the kindness of their hearts, but let me cook the way I cook. GET OUT OF MY KITCHEN! So for future reference, readers – if you’re ever in the kitchen with me, please do not “suggest” I do something one way or offer to do part of it for me. Claws come out, and I may act like a little brat. If I wanted help, I’d ask for it – but other than that, just let me do it. Now I know why I always heard “GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN AND SIT DOWN” when I was younger if we were at my grandma’s house for a holiday. It really is better to do it yourself than have 10 people suggesting and offering things while you’re just trying to cook a damn meal. I didn’t realize I had taken that trait from my grandmas – but now I know. And I can’t decide if I like it or not… let’s cross our fingers though, that I got their cooking abilities. That would be FANTASTIC.
 I also got to put another check next to #49 on my 2013 List – go to shows and sporting events. A friend of mine plays in a band that covers a lot of awesome classic rock and also plays their own songs. I haven’t seen them play in over a year – maybe longer than that. It was a spur of the moment invite and decision to go, and I’m really glad I went. The place was PACKED – and it was nice to be in a place with such a high energy atmosphere. I sang my ass off and was surprised when I woke up this morning that I actually had a voice. My feet killed as well – but that will happen when you’re dancing to “Pour Some Sugar on Me” in 4 inch heels. I’m not even mad about it. I needed a girls’ night out with my “groupie crew.” **Backstory: I used to FREQUENT this band’s shows. And by frequent, I mean that every show they played in the Des Moines area, I was front and center – singing and dancing my ass off. Aka – I was a groupie.** In true Gimikk groupie tradition, I started out with some margaritas at El Rodeo, and my fellow groupie proclaimed “I am drinking wine and my ass AND my boobs are hanging out. Just like the old days.” Sigh. Good times. Feels good to reminisce about the “old days of being a crazy groupie.” Everyone needs to have a “groupie” stage in their life, right?
Ugh – I’m still fighting this hangover. The book hangover, ass holes – not the one from being a groupie. I just keep rereading the notes I left myself in the margins and the spots I have underlined. I have a new book sitting next to me, and I got some new books on my Nook – but I just can’t quite move on to the next book. Maybe I’ll sleep on it – and ponder my own journey. What I will be hoping to find, what I do end up finding, and how I’m going to get wherever I end up. And then what? Where do I go from here? I guess I won’t know until I get wherever it is I’m going.
I’ll make this a short and sweet entry – seeing as it is Sunday night and I’ve got a 13.5 hour work day ahead of me tomorrow. I’m sure most of you have to work also… oh wait – just kidding. Happy MLK Jr Day tomorrow – sleep in for me and relax for those of you who get the day off. Let’s finish this with a quick quote from February’s book club book (don’t worry book club members – I won’t give away the ending!) Here’s a little of what Cheryl Strayed has to say about life – your own life, and what happens:
How wild it was, to let it be.
I feel like I should sing a little “Let it Be” while I’m at it… but I don’t want to ruin it for you. Have a wonderful night – and although I have a busy week ahead of me, I promise I won’t neglect my avid readers. Hopefully I’ll have some more (successful) recipe stories as well as some insightful quotes, hilarious quips from ridiculous people and things, and who knows what else. Should be fun J
Mwah –
Sara
PS - in my last blog entry title, I need to mention that I borrowed "Yoga Sluts" from Erin. She is the one who called me a yoga slut, so I feel like I should give credit when credit is due (just know that I don't give a number twooooo - name that song, artist, and soundtrack and I may buy you a cookie. Or just give you a high-five.)

No comments:

Post a Comment