Monday, January 7, 2013

Yoga, Galas, and Ridiculousness


After a crazy couple of weeks with the holidays, I think I’m FINALLY getting back into a routine. Having a holiday on a Tuesday, and still having to work the eve of said holiday, makes it difficult to get through your week. I’m not real impressed with it. But now that they’re done for a while, I can relax and get back into a schedule. I’ve gotten a few things in progress for checking off my list, one by one I’ll get them all done. (Hey – that rhymed!)

This past weekend, I got together for an impromptu house party/post birthday celebration and played a new game. If you’ve played Apples to Apples and LOVED it, AND if you’re a horrible person like I am, you MUST play this game. It’s called Cards Against Humanity and is truly terrible. And by terrible, I mean TERRIBLY AWESOME. It’s Apples to Apples for ass holes. Basically. I haven’t laughed so hard where I threatened to literally pee myself than I did playing this game, in a LONG time. So inappropriate, so hilarious… definitely not a family game – unless your family is a bunch of ass holes and knows what a lot of these mean… maybe save for a party sans the fam.

Ooh side note – I’ve made my bed every day since New Year’s Day. Props to me!! So far so good – only like 51 more weeks to continue to make it. I suppose it’s not REALLY that hard to make my bed every day, I just never did it so I never got in the habit. I’ve heard it takes two weeks to begin a new habit, and to break one, so here’s a cheers into week two of the new year… and me making my bed.

I was also invited to a gala this weekend. I know you’re all incredibly jealous that I’d be invited to such a prestigious event, so be jealous. At this birthday gala, we wore our best dresses and suits (courtesy of Goodwill, old bridesmaid dresses, and items from garage sales) to celebrate the 2nd annual fancy gala. I loved it. Got to recycle my bright purple bridesmaid dress that I probably won’t wear again (unless I’m invited to another fancy gala, obviously) and I got some fake Toms to add some sparkly to my outfit. Along with a Kardashian bun – which you can obviously NEVER go wrong with a Kardashian bun. As I write this, I am currently rocking one. Sassy – I know. Helps me pick up dudes at the gym – the ones I tweet about as well as the ones who just signed up and will be gone within the next month and I’ll never see again. Tis the season for busy gym days – only to be back to normal by mid-February. Yay resolutions that no one follows through with!

I tried out a new yoga studio in West Glen on Sunday – I purchased a Groupon a couple months ago and had yet to use it… woops – so I printed off a free week pass and got my sleepy body to Power 1 Yoga on Sunday after lunchtime. If you’ll refer back to my list, #13 states – “become a yoga enthusiast.” Well I didn’t figure I’d become one after one class, but it’s a good start. Plus I have the rest of the week to enjoy free classes and then another 6 sessions to enjoy. First thing I notice about the studio as I walk in, besides the fact that there were two half naked, beautifully toned men standing behind the desk, was how nice it was. Actually right now I don’t remember what it looks like – but I can picture those yoga bods. Yet I digress…………….. back to the #13 on my list – yoga enthusiast. Well I sure had some enthusiasm after THAT sight. Again – I digress. The locker rooms were very nice, and very small and crowded – but we tossed our stuff in one and headed to studio number 2. I immediately started sweating as I walked in the door. I didn’t realize this was a hot yoga class – it wasn’t really, just a warm roomed yoga class. And it was totally PACKED. I don’t think we could have put one more body in there if we tried. There were roughly 4 inches between me and the person on either side of me. I really did enjoy the class – and I will definitely be going back to the studio. A different atmosphere than a normal gym or even the group fitness classes. Plus we got to take a little nap at the end of class (not really a nap but I could have fallen asleep) and we did a “Namaste” before leaving. And I think we did roughly 50 chaturangas. You Yogis know what those are – you non-Yogis (like the OLD me) may have no idea. High plank to low plank to upward facing dog (ish) to downward facing dog. I’m surprisingly more sore than I thought I would be – and it was so hot in there I was dying. But I want to go back for a few different classes – there’s a Barre class (not to be confused with a Bar class that I like to do on Friday and Saturday nights while mixing some cocktails) and a sculpting class (not the clay kind, the yoga kind) that are both calling my name. And maybe if I get ballsy enough, I’ll try an official HOT yoga class. I’m terrified just thinking of how bad I’ll be sweating in there.

Book Club meeting number two is this week – and I’m about halfway through. I should have finished reading it tonight, but there’s been plenty going on today to keep my head completely occupied. Oof.

Real quick – just a rhetorical question… is my life for real right now? Sometimes I think I’m being punked, other times I think this is hilarious because it’s someone else’s life. Maybe I should write in to Chelsea Lately just to discuss the ridiculousness that is my life as of late. I bet she’d love it – and then I could meet her sooner, and then I could check #29 off my list for meeting Chelsea Handler!! I’ll start writing that chapter later… not a bad idea.

Back to book club… I just realized I haven’t decided what snacks to get/make… looks like during our busy clinic tomorrow I’ll be sitting on Pinterest to help find some recipes that are quick and easy to make up for Wednesday night! I get to choose the next book we read since I’m hosting – and I’d put it on here to give some of you a head start… but I’m going to wait for the reveal until AFTER Wednesday! I’m glad I finally got this started – I love sitting with a bunch of girls who love reading as much as I do. It’s great to find a group where you’re similar in that way, but live different lifestyles otherwise.

I got to do one of my most favorite things EVER tonight – have a phone date. Not the kind you have to pay for, sickos – the one where you talk to your friends and catch up with them. I LOVE having these and I need to start doing them more often. It’s great to know that you have friends who you may not see often, but no matter when you call, it’s like you just saw them yesterday. Always the same love and friendship, no matter the time between calls. I love my friends – and would do just about anything for them – I would do anything for love, but I won’t do that. Right Meatloaf? Although we never do know what “that” really is… someone google it and let me know.

I’m finishing up the last of my 13.5 hour workday, and I am ready just crawl into bed and try and forget today happened. Maybe not forget it happened, but just really think about everything. Maybe I’ll do some yoga stretches before crawling into bed so I can relax my mind, my body, my soul. And get ready for another day, full of something possible new, different, and unexpected. I’m not positive that I’m looking forward to it… but we’ll just see.

Happy reading everyone – I hope you get a quick giggle occasionally. Writing has become very fun for me – perhaps because I don’t HAVE to do it and get graded on it. Maybe I’ve found a passion I never knew I had. Who knows – the more I write, the more I know. The more I know, the more I grow. Pretty sure I just butchered some Dr Seuss – but it’s the same basic idea.

Quickly, before I start my closing duties for the night – I decided I’ll end each entry with a quote. Maybe something well-known, or something I just stumbled across (probably from Pinterest). And this one, fairly accurate for my current situation, comes from Nelson Mandela –

“There is no passion to be found in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.”

So find your passion, don’t settle, and LIVE.

Exes and Ohhhs…

Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment