Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2013: May the Odds be Ever in your Favor

As I relaxed on the couch today with a bag of chips and a container of dip, I turn on TLC and see the marathon for "My 600-lb Life." Naturally, I must turn it on and watch. I was terrified the entire time. Yet I kept eating the chips and dip - that combination is basically my kryptonite. After watching the show for 3 hours I thought I should probably get off the couch and to the gym. (By the way - I wasn't eating chips and dip that entire 3 hours... I put it away at a commercial.) Well - that didn't happen. I changed clothes and had every intention of going, but it just didn't happen. So like everyone else in America, I'm going to start going to the gym regularly again, tomorrow. I was cold today, comfy on the couch... just wasn't in the cards for me today. Yet I digress...............

As I relaxed on the couch today with a bag of chips and a container of dip, I had a lot of time to reflect. I got to reflect on the past year and think of everything to come in the upcoming year. A lot went on in 2012, and I know I learned something from every little thing that happened. Although things that happened may not have been my first, second, or any choice at all - that doesn't mean I didn't learn something from them. Lots of time to reflect and lots of time to plan things for the year.

Part of me wants to plan things, but another part of me wants to just see what happens and go with it. Everything happens for a reason right? But now that I have an officially, official list - I can just start checking things off. I can't WAIT.

I suppose I should recap some of the new things I tried last week - it's been a while since I wrote. Well it was obviously Christmas last week, and I ate the same stuff we have every year - with the exception of some new recipes that a couple different people tried for Christmas Eve dinner. And I suppose I have tried some new wines... which is always a good idea. Last Thursday, I had a date night with my twin. Not really my twin, but being friends since kindergarten basically makes you the same person. We went to a new restaurant - Louie's Wine Dive - and I am HIGHLY recommending it. Definitely a different menu, but the food was great and they have a lot of different wines. I ordered a glass of Moscato - because I've never met a Moscato I didn't like - and the Mahi Mahi. (I thought about ordering just one Mahi because I wasn't that hungry... but I settled for both Mahis. Feel free to "LOL" if you get the reference.) That was a DELICIOUS dinner and I'm definitely going back. Like I said, a lot of different things on the menu but I'm looking forward to trying them. After dinner, we went to The Playhouse to see The Wizard of Oz. I suppose this is one that I can mark off my list - 49) Go to shows and sporting events - locally famous or a little more famous. This show was put on by people in Des Moines - locally famous. The girl who played Dorothy was a freshman in high school and when she talked, she sounded EXACTLY like Judy Garland. I was extremely impressed. I need to look through their schedule for upcoming shows as well - I forget about them sometimes and need to make sure I go to more shows!

So there we go - one down, 49 more to go!

And here's an update/wrap up for the evening - our second book club meeting is next week!! I am hosting so I'm sure there will be mild panic on my part as I try and figure out exactly what to make, what questions to ask, etc. for the meeting... plus I need to get past the first chapter in the book without crying so I can read the rest of it and have questions to ask at the end. That will be the hardest part. Yikes. Onto the subject of cooking, I have found a master chef - or at least on his way to becoming one - to help me with my cooking. I can't wait for the lessons to start - by this time next year I'm sure I'll have my own restaurant opened up. Like I've tweeted before: best way to become a chef - drink wine and watch Ratatouille. I'll have my own restaurant in no time.

I've gotten a lot of feedback already from you avid, loyal readers - and I wanted to thank you. This journey will be in-tents (get it? intense = in tents, journey... get it? No? Mk.) and I am really grateful for all of the support I have received.

And on that sappy note... I'm out. This bed's been calling my name ALL DAY and I need to get up and go to the gym in the morning. Me and the thousands of other people who's New Year's Resolution to "get back into shape" starts tomorrow. Can't wait.

Happy New Year, everyone - and let's get 2013 rolling.

Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment