Monday, January 28, 2013

"Please" Always Works

I was just thinking about how I needed to add another blog entry – when I got a kind “please” today on Facebook requesting another entry J I’ve been really busy lately (wah wah) so I couldn’t think of anything super special to write. I feel like I’ve just been in the planning stages of many different things, without anything completed. I suppose that’s okay – seeing as things will get done and then I’ll have more to write about, but the planning stages are always the boring ones. Or the most exciting – depending on how you look at it I suppose.
Last week consisted of a lot of working, working out, and reading. I was impressed for the amount of working out I did – however then I was also that girl who said “I can’t go to the bar because I’m going to work out” and that’s TOTALLY not something I’ve ever said. Surprised me and made me a little nervous. But again – I almost died in my sculpting yoga class. It’s become a slight addiction and I like it. An hour of sweating out every piece of shit thing you ate that week and trying your hardest not smash your face on the floor from your slippery, sweaty hands while you do a push up is actually more tiring than you’d think. It makes me want to throw up a little. This time I remembered a sweat towel (soaked through and completely useless halfway through class) but then I forgot my water. Maybe the 3rd time is the charm and after THAT I will finally make it through this class without swearing and being extremely dehydrated. Maybe. And seriously – that damn “year of the rear” thing again. I happened to walk by one of the mirrors at the gym tonight and just glanced… it seems as though that is a correct statement. A combination of yoga and kettlebell workouts seem to be lifting that bad boy. And on that note – we are done talking about my rear. (lolz)
Ooh – here’s some fun news… so far for 2013 I have read 5 of my 40 book goal! Two of them were pretty short, easy reads – but a book nonetheless. So they count. Two were book club books and one was written by one of my new favorite authors. For those of you that know my addictions and obsessions, I love WEIRD things. Whether it be a book, show, “thing” in general… I love the weird. For example – I will watch marathons of Hoarders and Intervention, as well as read a book and watch a documentary with the title of “My Lobotomy.” I enjoy anything having to deal with the brain and how WEIRD and AMAZING it is. To put it simply, I am addicted to other peoples’ addictions and oddities. And I’m totally okay with that. Perhaps that’s why the majority of my elective classes were in Psychology and Sociology. I like learning about how the mind works and why people are the way they are. And as I reread this – I realize I’ve gone completely off topic. Back to a new favorite author… Gillian Flynn. She is the author of three books from the New York Times Bestseller list – Gone Girl, Sharp Objects, and the book I just finished reading – Dark Places. I started the book last Sunday and had it finished by Thursday. I couldn’t stop reading it – the plot intrigued me and it had just enough “crazy” in it that I couldn’t put it down. So – if you like reading something that’s dark and a little crazy, DEFINITELY pick up a Gillian Flynn book. I think she’s going to be my first that I write a fan letter to… she’s freaking awesome. I can only assume the other two books she’s written are equally as awesome and addictive. I’m wondering now (as I psychoanalyze myself) if I have an addictive personality. I may do some research and get back to you on that one. Maybe not necessarily an addictive personality, but rather a personality with addictive tendencies. Obviously there’s a difference.
Moving on.
I was supposed to start some training at the Animal Rescue League this weekend for the retail shop… however with the lovely weather we have here in Iowa, I decided to stay home and reschedule that business. I’ve worked in retail since I was 15 so I think I could pick up on it fairly quickly – assuming I don’t try and take all the dogs and cats home with me. I can only imagine the conversation with these people – “Sure go ahead and look around, I’ll watch Fluffy for you” and then I dart out of the store with Fluffy under my arm and hightail it home to snuggle the animal. HE’S SO FLUFFY I COULD DIE!! I can’t wait till that movie comes out – those minions are fantastic. Anywho – another thing that I was supposed to do this weekend – attend a new yoga class. I got an email Sunday morning saying the class had been cancelled and I got a little sad about it. Looks like I’ll have to wait to really become a yoga slut. Meh – I can handle it.
I tried a new bar this weekend too – not really a NEW bar… but one I hadn’t been to before. It was “Brunette Night” out for us girls so we didn’t need to worry about any blondes coming in and stealing our thunder. (No worries blonde friends – we still love you J) So basically – there was no need to have cable TV because of all the just SILLY things we dealt with that night. As we walk in the bar about 10:30 or so, there is a grown woman BAWLING in the corner of the bar with her friend comforting her. Hoped that was something that after you turned 22 you would grow out of. Apparently not. Then later, we heard piercing scream – obviously thinking someone just got shanked in the bathroom. Wrong – this girl was just SUPER EXCITED to see her friends. Another thing I was hoping to grow out of. And again – wrong. Lots of people watching, which is on my list of things I love to do. Maybe I just need to find a job that I can just people watch for a living. That’s something I seriously need to look into.
As I said early, lots of things in the planning stages going on right now. A couple I will keep to myself – I don’t want to jinx them. I’ve become superstitious on things as I get older, so I think if I talk about them then they won’t work out the way I’d planned. So – a couple things are still on the DL. But a couple other things coming up – FEBRUARY BOOK CLUB!! I get so excited for these now. I’m glad that I’ve found a group of girls who love to read as much as me and who also love to talk as much as me. We make a pretty good team. Books and wine and talking – I’m not sure I could think of anything better! More planning stages… another reunion weekend coming up to celebrate Groundhogs Day. Definitely an undercelebrated holiday – but I’m sure we will have a hell of a time. Other upcoming shenanigans… Jean Short Party Bus, Fat Tuesday, St Pats in Chicago, concerts, PBR, and more road trips. I can’t wait J
As I close out this post – I thought it would be shorter, yet here I go rambling again – I will snag some words of wisdom from the hilarious and intelligent Amy Poehler…
“As you navigate through the rest of your life, be open to collaboration. Other people and other people’s ideas are often better than your own. Find a group of people who challenge and inspire you, spend a lot of time with them, and it will change your life.”
Challenge and inspire. Keep your eyes and your mind open. Learn from others. Change your life.
S
PS… we’ve got a thunderstorm going on right now J Perfect sleeping and snuggling weather. Write that down.

No comments:

Post a Comment