Monday, February 3, 2014

Day 1: I need to try harder


Well – Day 1 is here. I thought I was SO prepared for it too. Turns out – not even close. After being woken up at 6:00 yesterday morning by the devil child running sprints, I was immediately put in a bad mood. I had a day to sleep in and didn’t get to enjoy it. My original plan was to sleep till I woke up, go on a brunch date, do some grocery shopping for the upcoming #whole30, hit up yoga (pre 20/30 challenge) and then relax and watch the Super Bowl with some last minute beers. And you know what happens when you’re busy planning things? Life. Life happens. And that little life form who lives upstairs began sprints at 6. So I got out of bed (on the wrong side, mind you) and decided to get my grocery shopping done and out of the way. I stopped for a quick pick-me-up at Caribou (last day to have yummy, sweet coffee) and hit up Dahls. Well it was me and the retired crowd at the store, which was fine by me because then I didn’t need to fight for space with everyone and their mom. I’d made a list beforehand so I pretty much KNEW what I’d need when I got there.

My list included the basics: chicken breasts (frozen are so much cheaper), ground beef, frozen fruits (for smoothies), frozen veggies (cheaper than canned? Not surprisingly), kale, spinach, apples, sweet potatoes, bananas, olive oil, and eggs. My PLAN (remember that plan? The one I was busy with when life was happening?) was to make smoothies for breakfast (hence the fruits and kale), chicken and such for lunches, eggs intermittently spread throughout. I added in some avocados (those are a good fat), some sundried tomatoes and some balsamic vinaigrette for this awesome salad recipe I found. I’m golden. I can totes do this. I’m so prepared for the next week I’m impressing myself.

So I went on my brunch date (and was grumpy – sorry about that) to Waveland Café – probably the BEST place for brunch in Des Moines. I wanted some carbs because they are my favorite food – and I wouldn’t be able to eat them for the next month. So what did I do? Biscuits and Gravy on hashbrowns, with two eggs – over easy. I got a cup of coffee and poured in my signature 2 splenda packs (thanks for teaching me that, Dad), and with each refill, I didn’t add anymore sweetener. It didn’t taste terrible, so I figured I’d be good to go with my creamer-less and sugarless coffee in the mornings. Just prepping myself. After brunch I got dropped off so I could continue with my plan. I turned on Dexter (omg it’s so weird) and got started.

So first, I baked my eggs (325 degrees for 30 minutes) and let them cool for 10 minutes in ice water once they were done. I think I only had one half-explode which was pretty impressive considering I’ve NEVER MADE HARD BOILED EGGS BEFORE. Laugh all you want. This was pretty impressive for my first attempt. I can scramble with the best of them – but the rest will take practice. But I can do it. Then I decide to bake some chicken breasts for the week – may as well get it out of the way and put them in the fridge so I’ll just have to grab one and head to work right? I’ve got those done – and by this time it’s time for yoga! Hooray!

I got my sweat on, teared up a little reiterating our intention of “try” and held crow for the longest time yet. At that point – I thought it was going to be a good week. I spent a lazy night watching football – terrible game – and drinking some Angry Orchards and Canoe Paddlers. My PLAN (remember the plan?) was to get up at 5 am so I could work out at 5:45, be done by 6:30, and be good to go to head into work a little early. So you see what happened was… I slept instead. I was warm and comfy and I just didn’t want to be outside in the freezing cold at 5 am. So I slept. I got moving at a fairly decent time, still plenty to get ready for the day. Pack lunch and dinner, make breakfast, get my bag packed for a work out and work, and get on the road. So here are a few things I learned on day 1 of my #whole30.

1)      Kale needs to be liquefied before going into a smoothie, otherwise it’s chunky and gross

2)      I don’t necessarily like avocado in its normal state – I’d rather have it as a spread, or in guacamole

a.      No matter how many times I’ve seen someone cut an avocado, I am unable to do it in a pretty way

3)      Black coffee isn’t terrible

4)      Peeling hard boiled eggs is a pain in my ass

5)      I was not prepared for this week AT ALL.

By following #whole30, you eat 3 meals a day. I’m so used to having breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack (and more snack). That will probably be the biggest challenge for me. That and the fact that I would love a bowl of pasta. But it’s 30 days of my life. I’m sure I’ll feel better in 30 days anyway – it’s just going to be hard. And I would like a challenge. Plus – this is a perfect month to do this. No bachelorette parties, no weddings, no races – just Valentine’s Day where I can stare longingly at chocolate and wine all day long. But it’s okay – I’ll celebrate once I’ve completed my #whole30.

So here’s what made it on my plate today (in case you’re keeping track of me and making sure my food is clean):

Breakfast: smoothie (nasty) with blackberries, kale and banana with an apple and black coffee
Lunch: Spinach salad with chicken, sundried tomatoes, avocado, and cucumber with balsamic vinaigrette dressing with raw carrots, cauliflower, broccoli and celery
Post workout snack: pistacchios and tea (post workout snacks are allowed)
Dinner: hard boiled eggs, raw carrots, half a sweet potato and green beans
 
How’d I do? Plus – I’m not starving… which is good. Maybe this won’t be so terrible after all.

Like I said earlier, I teared up a little during our final discussion of our intention in yoga yesterday. That intention was “try.” Try to be better, try harder, try to improve in every aspect of your life. A very smart yogi told me that. It doesn’t go just for yoga either – it goes for this challenge, it goes for your work life, your personal life, your general OUTLOOK on life. Just try a little bit.

So here goes – day 1: done. Only 29 more to go. I’ve got a #whole30 date night dinner tomorrow… let’s see what we come up with to make. Noms.
 
TRY.
S

No comments:

Post a Comment